ROCKHarbor Africa Team

A group of 15 people going to Namibia, Africa in November 2005.

About Us:

ROCKHarbor Africa Team Blog. We are leaving for Namibia, Africa on Novermber 18, 2005.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Lynne's Thoughts

Heartbreaking, joy-filled, Spirit-led.

These are the three words I used to describe the trip to Namibia during our team de-briefing session last week. I am struggling to describe the trip. "Great" seems cliche. A life-changing experience to be sure.

I am caught by the contrast of where I have been these past weeks compared to returning America...the "OC".... and at Christmas. I am overwhelmed by the people I met and how content they are with so little, how grateful children and adults were with the smallest of gifts, and how much joy there is in their lives.

Pictures my heart will not forget:

Barefoot, dirty children living in the shanty-town area - Block E....running after our van with their tin-bowls for some soup and bread, which is brought every-other day. I am certain that this is the only meal some get.
The smiles and songs of the 32 children at the ARK... the children's home where we stayed. These kids crave love and attention. If foreign adoption was allowed in Namibia (it isn't), I would have brought a couple children home with me.

The excitedness on the faces of children and adults in receiving a new pair of flip-flops....waiting patiently in line to be fitted. Our team brought over about 1000 pairs of shoes to distribute. Receiving new clothes was beyond belief for many....and when we handed out the bright yellow soccer balls in a village... the roar was deafening!

Picture 32 orphaned children all wearing new ANGEL baseball jerseys (Finley's number) with new Galaxy Soccer team visors on.

I thought I was standing at the threshold of heaven when we prayed for healing for Johaness....a 29 year-old in the last stages of AIDS...our team praying in Afrikaans, Taiwanese, Dutch, German and English. Johaness lives in a 2room shanty 'house' made from aluminum siding with a dirt floor and a mattress. He became a Christian while we visited.

400 7th-12th grade learners (students) meeting each afternoon in a local church to hear about "Choose to Wait"- an abstinence ciriculum. I was awed that we could go onto school campuses and announce our program, pray at assemblies held in our honor, and even teach 'Choose to Wait" in several of the school's classrooms.

I could go on and on...will send photos soon. I again, want to thank you for your support, prayers and encouragement for this trip....truly one of a lifetime!

Peace and grace.
Lynne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home