ROCKHarbor Africa Team

A group of 15 people going to Namibia, Africa in November 2005.

About Us:

ROCKHarbor Africa Team Blog. We are leaving for Namibia, Africa on Novermber 18, 2005.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

African AIDS Statistics 2005

I compiled a list of African AIDS statistics for some of the brochures we are making. The numbers are staggering. I don't think I thought they wouldn't be staggering, I just don't think I can even begin to comprehend the numbers they are so staggering.

I decided not to post them all here to save space and clutter on the blog, but I did put them all on another website. The page is called African AIDS Statistics 2005.

Here are just a few that seem to rock me to my core:
  • In Africa 1.2 Million children are orphaned due to AIDS every year. – July 2005 – UNAIDS Report
  • Epidemiologists predict that by 2010, life expectancy will be 29 in Botswana, 30 in Swaziland and 33 in Namibia and Zimbabwe. Without AIDS, life expectancy would be near 70. – Los Angeles Times
  • The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization estimates AIDS will have claimed one-fifth or more of agricultural workers in most countries in Southern Africa by 2020 – July 2005 – UNAIDS Report
Over 120,000 children a month become orphans and grow up without parents. Over ten years, that is 12 million children. Who will teach these children the difference between right and wrong if they don't have parents? That number alone tells me there is an even bigger impact in the future if we continue to ignore this problem. This trip and the many more like it that I hope to take will not even come close to solving this problem. If you are reading this, we need you too.

The third statistic went on to talk about possible food shortages and related problems as the population loses a large percentage of it's food producers. It stated that even the loss of one worker on a farm can cripple the farms food potential.

It is my deepest hope and prayer that, through this trip we can make even a small change in this dire situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home